Rain drops on roses and
Whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettle and
Warm woollen mittens….
I’m sure you know the rest of the lyrics… Recently a friend of mine wrote a brilliant blog about things that make her happy and so, in tribute to my co-blogger Annette Hill, and in an effort to find goodness and light when it all feels a bit dark; here is a list of a few of my favourite things…
- Sunshine on my back
- Coffee in the morning
- Coffee later
- Coffee…good coffee
- Shiny Spring mornings
- Crisp Autumn days
- Wearing boots and jackets in winter
- Melbourne’s weather…most of the time. Especially because I know it will change soon.
- My cute doggie
- And still getting to watch my son sleep
- The smell of blossoms in the evening
- The rooftops of Paris at sunrise
- Sitting for ages in a cafe with a book
- Dashing into a cafe to grab a cappuccino because I’m off to do something fabulous
- Airports and planes
- That feeling the day before the flight. It makes me smile even thinking about it.
- Listening to my sons sing. They’re both really very good.
- Teaching my singing students
- My piano, even though it’s rather out of tune.
- The Renoir print above my piano that my Dad bought especially for me.
- Still having my Dad around
- Knowing my Mum is no longer in pain
- That happy-sad feeling
- Movies that make me laugh
- Movies that make me cry
- Reclining seats at the cinema
- Homemade popcorn with real butter
- Movies that make me think and challenge me.
- The feel of old hardcover books
- New stationery
- Fresh bed linen
- Old teddy bears of my childhood
- Cooking for friends
- Sharing a meal with friends
- True friendship
- Good food
- Ice cream especially gelato
- Having the right words at the right time
- Knowing silence is just as good
- Big band swing
- Old records
- Listening to music my mum and dad used to play on cassette in the car on road trips
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas lights and decorations
- Singing Christmas carols and songs
- The impressionists and the way they capture the light
- Wishing to capture that light in my own art
- Art galleries and museums
- Faith, well grounded faith at that.
- Knowing that when I’m down, really truly down, I have risen before and I will do again.
I’m sure there’s a million other things, the moment I hit publish, I’ll think of them. I’d love you to share your favourite things with me. Let’s count our blessings together. Let’s draw courage from each other.